Sarah B. Hechtman
In my work as a family lawyer, I have witnessed the damage that the court system can do to families and I am, consequently, committed to helping clients resolve their family disputes on their own terms. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that “one size does not fit all” and seek to help clients resolve their family disputes in the way that works best for them, whether that is through negotiation or litigation.
I have extensive litigation experience, having begun my career as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office where I tried street crime cases, including those involving domestic violence and sex crimes. I later worked as a civil rights lawyer prosecuting class action cases on behalf of children. It is my commitment to the welfare of children and families that led me to train in alternative methods of resolving family law disputes.
I have handled complex divorce cases involving substantial financial assets as well as highly contested child custody cases and recognize that sometimes it is not possible to negotiate a family matter to resolution without court intervention. My experience in both litigation and alternative methods of dispute resolution makes me well equipped to negotiate and draft pre and post nuptial agreements.
As an extension of my commitment to the welfare of children and families, I am thrilled to be able to add reproductive law to my practice. It is my privilege to help intended parents, gestational surrogates and biological donors on their fertility journey and I am honored and proud to assist individuals and couples in achieving their family-building goals with integrity, understanding and compassion.
- Center for Family and Divorce Mediation Mediator Training, 2003.
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals Collaborative Law Training, 2006.
- Center for Understanding in Conflict, Advanced Mediation Training 2019
- A.B. (Psychology) Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges
- M.Sc. (Public Policy) London School of Economics and Political Science
- J.D. Columbia Law School
- New York State Bar
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- 100% family law – mediation, collaborative practice, and litigation
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York (former Board Member and Committee Chair)
- International Association of Collaborative Professionals
- New York City Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- NYSBA Reproductive Rights Committee
- Avvo 10/10 rating
- AV Preeminent Peer Rating
- Jones Morrison, LLP
- New York City Department of Education (consultant)
- Children’s Rights (representing children in foster care)
- Advocates for Children of New York (seeking educational services for New York City public school students)
- New York County District Attorney’s Office (Domestic Violence and Sex Crimes Units)
- Anderson Kill & Olick